Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Super Fun & Easy Valentine's Treats

Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I've got a fun and easy treat for you! I've been making this for years, ever since my mom started making it for the holidays when I was younger. She called them "sweet minglers," which comes from the Crispix recipe. They have many different names including muddy buddies, puppy chow, etc. I like "sweet minglers" because it's perfect for many holidays, including Valentine's Day, especially with my extra ingredient. ; )

I bought Chex cereal from Aldi's because they are super cheap and they are basically the same as Crispix. I always start with the recipe on the back of the box, but usually end up making a few changes (MORE CHOCOLATE, of course!!). I also use more peanut butter and powdered sugar. I should probably start writing down my changes so I can repeat the recipe, but I have yet to do that. ; ) I also added a little something extra to pump up this batch for the perfect Valentine's treat!

Here are the ingredients for my version:
  • 9cups Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Crispix, or a similar cereal (I think this could be fun with various types of Cheerios as well, but I haven't tried it myself)
  •        1 1/4cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1cup peanut butter
  • 1/4cup butter or margarine
  • 1teaspoon vanilla
  • 2cups powdered sugar
  • & Valentine's colored M & M's to taste : )
That's homemade vanilla in the glass bottle. There is nothing like it...YUM!
Directions:
First, measure cereal into a large bowl and set aside.


Next, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in 1- quart bowl uncovered on high for 1 minute. 


Stir and microwave for 30-45 more seconds until mixture is stirred smooth.




Stir in vanilla.


Pour mixture over cereal and stir evenly until coated. 



Split and pour into 2 gallon sized ziploc bags. The recipes usually recommend using 1 bag, but I find it is difficult to shake it up and get the cereal to move around due to limited space in bag.


I also alternate between pouring cereal mixture and powdered sugar in the bag to avoid getting powdered sugar stuck in corners instead of coating the cereal.



Continue until you've separated your powdered sugar and cereal mixture into 2 bags. Seal the bags and add an extra bag over the bag with the mixture to ensure you don't bust a hole and spill powdered sugar all over the place! 


Now, (insert Taylor Swift voice here) shake it up, shake it up...until it's well coated! Haha sorry, I could not resist!



I add extra sugar to the recipe to get the results above. I prefer the completely covered in sugar look and taste, versus the dark mixture that results if you use the amount recommended on the box recipe. Here comes the fun part...if you weren't having fun already!! Add special pink, red, and white M & M's...to taste : )


The box recipe also recommends spreading the mixture on wax paper to cool, but I prefer to leave it in the bags and place them in the refrigerator for an hour (or less if we are really craving the minglers, which is usually the case at our house). 

Lastly, all you need to do is find a cute and simple way of packaging your treats to share with co-workers and friends!

Found these adorable baggies and paper shreds from the Target dollar spot and instantly knew they'd be perfect!





And ENJOY!!! Hope your Valentine's Day is as sweet at these treats! What are your favorite Valentine's Day treats to share?









  •  




1 comment:

  1. These were so delicious! I ate them all in one sitting! =)
    Thanks so much Carly!

    ReplyDelete